In 1947, Maison Dior opened its first boutique at a now mythic address, 30 Avenue Montaigne. The 4-story “hôtel particulier” was built between 1865 and 1868 for the widow of Napoleon’s illegitimate son (Alexandre Colonna Walewski) and is also known as “Hôtel de Millon d’Ailly de Verneuil”.
Over the years, Dior has acquired adjacent buildings Avenue Montaigne…
Today, the Avenue Montaigne boutiques are undergoing major construction and extension work scheduled to take up to two years (till summer 2021). According to French newspaper Le Monde, thanks to heavy redesigning, Dior’s historic boutique will triple its existing surface to reach 3,000 sqm, with the addition of a restaurant and a museum.
Although the Avenue Montaigne boutique is currently closed, do walk by to admire the fantastic work done by Terres Rouges to hide the construction site.
In the meanwhile, Dior’s flagship store has been temporarily moved to 127 Champs-Élysées, with an incredible façade reminiscent of the original store at 30 Avenue Montaigne, with a symbolic “page-turning” architectural feature.