The Pantheon is one of the highlights of the city of lights, which defines the line of the Parisian skyline.
Built on the Sainte-Genevieve mountain, it dominates the Latin Quarter from its height of 80 meters, surrounded by the Bibliothèque Sainte Geneviève, the Henri IV highschool and the Saint Etienne Du Mont Church.
It is in this building that now lie France most renown and talented people, among them Rousseau, Voltaire, Victor Hugo
The first church was built in 508 by Clovis, but had been destroyed after. In 1744, Louis XV promises to rebuild it. The construction began in 1764. An architect called Soufflot is in charge of the project, he seeks to combine the ancient Greco-Roman architecture with the structures of Gothic architecture.
The lantern tower with its cupola and dome is inspired by that of Saint Paul’s in London. The church is transformed during Revolution in 1791 to become the Pantheon, the mausoleum of the “great men of the nation.”. The pediment is the work of David d’Angers, completed in 1830 and the paintings inside are, among others, due to Puvis.